This was a week for reconstructing the blogroll here. “Oh, Oh, The Places You’ll Go” lists all the things that are NOT blogs, along with, for a limited time, a description of each one on-screen — you don’t even have to mouse hover — which for some strange reason Made Every Word Start With A Capital Letter.
The actual blogs are now found further down in a new section called “Blog Stops.”
And now on to this week:
- Now I know what my wife does when I’m out of the house. She performed this song and created this YouTube video.
- Denny Burk considers the Rolling Stone interview with Kate Perry, the artist formerly known as [contemporary Christian music artist] Katy Hudson. “…perhaps there is a flicker of gospel still alive in Perry.”
- What if your prayers sounded more like someone placing an order at the fast food drive thru window? Maybe they do.
- Former Crossroads Christian Communications president — and son of the founder — Ron Mainse has repaid the Ontario Securities Commission for his part in a Ponzi scheme; so the org is putting a positive spin on it, though it’s just a drop in the bucket compared to massive investor losses.
- Don Miller on how reading transformed his life, and what reading will do for you.
- Speaking of reading, are you reading this because you missed the rapture? Don’t worry, there’s a book explaining how the Left-Behind set can get ahead financially.
- The Evangelical Fellowship of Canada’s Activate Blog looks at the current attitude toward pornography in a world of human trafficking.
- Here’s a testimony that will open your eyes: Kristine McGuire’s story is called I Was a Christian Witch. She says the church needs to be aware of their existence.
- Greg Boyd on the passing of enigmatic theologian Clark Pinnock at age 73.
- Zach says the strongest argument against weekly observance of The Lord’s Supper (aka Communion) is invalid since it doesn’t apply to other worship service elements.
- “Where there is no vision, the people perish;” isn’t about programmatic vision for your local church so much as it is about big-picture spiritual vision, i.e. seeing the world through God’s eyes.
- A 60-second devotional thought on a classic Dwight L. Moody quotation on faithfulness.
- Or if you prefer, from the same Canadian blogger, a few additions Paul might want to make to one of his epistles if he were around today.
- Sometimes I land on a blog with no particular post to mention, but worthy of recommendation. So for the women out there, check out Sheep to the Right.
- USAToday becomes the umpteenth media outlet to discover Amish fiction. Yawn.
- The annual Beloit College “Mindset List” gets us inside the heads of the college bound kids who form the Class of 2014.
- Back to Zach’s blog again; if you say your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, you might want to rethink consumption of soft drinks. (Click through to read full size.)
- Tony Reinke says if you have a problem with getting to the point too quickly, you might consider something he calls Sdrawkcab Gnitirw aka Writing Backwards. [HT: Trevin]
- And speaking of Trevin Wax, here’s an analogy comparing law-centered faith to your computer’s operating system.
- Our comics this week are from ASBO Jesus, (from the British Anti Social Behavior Order) by Jon Birch.