We either start off with really serious issues and end with something silly, or we do it the other way around. Today leads off with the latter:
- Psalm 42 in the Pirate translation. Seriously. Why would I lie about that?
- Which is just a warm up for SFL’s grand old hymn of the week, I’m Not Going to Hell.
- Which takes us to that other “stuff” site, SCL and the issue of inviting friends to church: “It doesn’t matter how great your church is Sunday after Sunday. On the one day you actually invite a neighbor for the first time, there’s a moment of panic that passes through you.”
- Hey, remember that 30-minute film you watched in youth group about a factory worker who finds a music box? It never went to DVD, but turns out it’s been on YouTube for five years.
- Eight weeks later, Jamie The Very Worst Blogger remembers she has a blog and updates it a second time on her birthday.
- Karen Spears Zacharias has met the enemy, and the enemy is talk radio. Or maybe that one belongs in the next section…
Okay, we need some serious links also, right?
- Here’s a re-issue of a classic 2004 Michael Spencer post at iMonk where the fallibility of those in vocational ministry hits full force.
- In another re-print, Pete Wilson quotes Peter Scazzero on the American Church and the American Dream.
- Or check out Will Mancini’s take on how success in ministry adversely affects pastors.
- Here’s an interesting thought: If your church permits women preachers or allows women as elders, who ‘permits’ and who ‘allows’? Chances are it’s men. Hmmm. Kathy Escobar elaborates.
- The sad story of Jack Schaap continues with a plea agreement, followed by being taken into custody on the 20th, with a first court appearance scheduled for today (26th).
- Brian McLaren guests at CNN’s religion blog to discuss Islamaphobic Evangelical Christians in light of recent events in the Arab world. Also a response and video interview from Tony Jones.
- Also at CNN’s Belief Blog/News page, the 15 Amish people who last fall “sheared” the beards of other Amish people could face ‘recommended’ prison terms of 17 years.
- October 28th to November 4th is WRAP Week (White Ribbon Against Pornography) an annual event that creates a useful opportunity to raise the issue of pornography within the Church, and to call all Christians to renewed lives of sexual purity and freedom; and a project of the Salvation Army USA. Here’s the poster. Here’s info about the film Somebody’s Daughter.
- Veteran Christian Band The 77s are touring in October. If you missed them, here’s an audio of one of my favorites. (Two Ontario dates are available!)
- After Monday’s post about canonization, I realize how little I know about other faith traditions… Just when I think I have the rosary figured out, there’s prayer ropes for the Orthodox.
- I was wrong last week; the national Canadian Christian talk show hosted by Lorna Dueck has actually been out under the Context format (with a live audience that Listen Up never had) for over a year.
- Two articles on supporting your pastor(s): One from Lisa Robinson at Parchment and Pen, and one from Keith Brenton at Blog in My Own Eye.
- Sometimes I find about blogs from the “God Blogger” segment on The Drew Marshall Show. This week it was Timothy Dalrymple.
- Also this week discovered the blog, Hieropraxis while trying to track down a female apologetics expert, Dr. Holly Ordway; one of a few in what is otherwise more of man’s game.
- The funny graphic at the top of this post is actually from a very serious 2011 article, The Mega-Problem of Mega-Churches.
- …And the closing cartoon is from Dave Walker at CartoonChurch.com, but when I tried to find it for a proper link, I couldn’t. This one is from the blog Digging a Lot.
Not enough links for you? The new Top 200 Church Blogs list is out.