Well, another week, another book banned by LifeWay. Hope your week went better than Jen Hatmaker’s. On the other hand, she joins a growing list of people Baptists can’t handle, including a few I’m proud to say are in my personal library. Relevant links on this story start at item #2 below:
- The Washington Times reports the producers of the movie I’m Not Ashamed are suing Google after their trailer was removed from YouTube.
- A good friend of Jen Hatmaker, Jennie Allen feels that homosexuality “is requiring something we are not well practiced in–holding the tensions of grace and truth.” …
- …Meanwhile, Katelyn Beatty, now writing at The Washington Post, looks at the high cost of choosing between being popular and political…
- …Finally, in case you were wondering, Brandon Hatmaker weighs in on his wife’s position on the issue resulting in the book ban.
- Essay of the Week: An honest look at the pain of life, the anger it produces, and the search for a remedy, written by an overseas missionary.
- The coming worship crisis: People are tuning out and just standing there watching (or sitting down).
- Church service planning: Is your church guilty of death denial? (You might be, but not know it.) …
- …From the same writer, Mark Love at Dei-Liberations, a consideration what happens if, using a common table, you make the communion service more central to the service.
- This timely piece was also found at @TimothyArcher’s blog; the writer was warned that at the opening chapel service, “we have this combination of Christianity and patriotic symbolism, including the Battle Hymn of the Republic and a flag bigger than the state of Texas that comes down as the big finish, and I just thought you might oughta know that.”
- Calling it “donor illusion” — a great term, by the way — the question is this: When you select the item in the charity catalog that provides a needy family with a goat, does a needy family actually get a goat?
- Canada Corner: When she applied to the University of Calgary, she learned that her homeschool transcripts were worthless pieces of paper…
- …Also, major Christian media news in Canada this week as Crossroads (founded by David Mainse) and Media Voice Generation (creators of Context TV, founded by Lorna Dueck) announce the merger joining Canada’s two most public Christian media brands.
- The great dichotomy:
Sin will always keep you from prayer.
Prayer will lead you out of sin.
Guess that really leaves you with two things you need to do to break the cycle.
- Worship Workshop: A few decades later, a worship musician writes a note to his younger self.
- Loving your neighbor when your neighbor is Big Concrete Jesus.
- •••Don’t miss this one••• Mars Hill Bible Church (Grand Rapids), the church founded by Rob Bell, called a new lead pastor this fall. The church was introduced to A.J. Sherrill in this video. He preached his first sermon as pastor on 9.11.16 (and the preaching style bears a remarkable resemblance to you-know-who.)
- Another pathetic case of the strange and horrible things done by a self-appointed prophet.
- Whether or not Jesus would own a gun, one writer begins with the question, “What would Jesus do if he were watching TV, and people started shooting at other people?”
- The True Story of Halloween: A fable for your Reformation Week.
- This week I came across two older articles which I thought should be noted here for parents or youth pastors are dealing with gay teens.
- Calling herself “an emotional detective,” former Los Angeles Daily News reporter Karen Kingsbury has written over 50 novels, 24 of them involving the fictional Baxter family.
- Genesis 1: There’s perhaps something else going on in this story…or at the very least, something more than what we normally take away.
- You may not have known Lawrence O. Richards, but if your kids had a copy of the NIV Teen Study Bible or the NIV Adventure Bible they knew his work.
- Reminiscing: The Jesus Movement.
- Using a new top level domain, blog.bible launches.
- ♫ Music Video of the Week: United Pursuit featuring Will Reagan – Looking for a Savior.
- ♫ Bonus Video of the Week: Lucia Parker – Right Now (both songs tracking on the New Worship section of Praise Charts.)
- Maybe not the all-time best PVPodcast, but this episode wins in the guest category with Phil Vischer and Skye Jethani scoring N.T. Wright as a guest.
- It’s strange sometimes how you find out things. On a church architecture website, a look at construction of a Willow Creek satellite campus.
- Stealing 14 seconds of your valuable time: How to make holy water (video).
- Finally, Bible study time, as Donald Trump shares his favorite books of the Bible and why he likes them.