Yesterday my mom passed away just before noon after a long, gradual decline in health. It was a day for processing many different emotions
- the mixed feelings you get when you know it’s someone’s time to go and you’re even praying for that, when in earlier days you would have prayed for strength and healing
- the myriad of things which must be done at a time you would rather just relax and deal with the loss itself but now you’re too busy
- the reactions from other people who knew her albeit in a completely different relationship than your own and finding yourself envious of those relationship dynamics
- the tremendous amount of support from people who are for you and in your corner, who you didn’t realize would react so strongly to your loss
- the people who tell you that they were praying for you; that they have been praying for you for a much longer time than you would have otherwise known
I will write something about my mom’s life here on another day. There is so much to tell. For now I am so grateful to be surrounded by a faith community that impacted me so powerfully in the past several hours.