Our graphics this week come from Coffee With Jesus, which is also available as a book from InterVarsity Press (IVP). (Two books now, actually.) Blogger Clark Bunch introduced me to the David Wilkie comic many years ago and he one of them weekly as part of his Happy Monday feature. You can get your own dose daily on the Radio Free Babylon Twitter feed. Also check out a 2014 interview Paul Pastor did with the creator.
This was one of those Weekend Link List weekends. Only 12 items, but it was a rather good list. Check it out. Yes, you. The one staring at the screen.
- People arriving at last week’s Republican convention didn’t get to see a billboard advertising the movie God’s Not Dead 2. The advertisement was pulled as being “too political and way too incendiary” according to U.S. Weekly. But the Hollywood Reporter noted that there was an atheist Billboard and 30 smaller atheist signs.
- The crisis at North Point: Do their summer, secular song ‘openers’ simply go too far, as in too far astray.
- Do I have to be “a morning person” to be a dedicated follower of Jesus? Check out two articles: Morning Prayer Part One, and Morning Prayer Part Two. (Some of you will like this approach!)
- As Roman Catholics flock to Poland for World Youth Day, a response to yesterday’s killing of a Catholic priest in France…
- …And don’t call that senseless violence. The killing of that priest “was not a senseless act. Abominable, yes. Disgusting, surely. But senseless? No. It was premeditated. It was intentional. It was part of a larger pattern.”
- Gene splicing, brain implants and synthetic blood; oh, my! Pew Research says people aren’t exactly enthusiastic about these new technologies; concern is a better word.
- “The wife does not have authority over her own body.” Starting with those words from 1 Corinthians 7, a Muslim viewpoint on the New Testament view of marriage which might appear to endorse marital rape.
- Leadership Lessons: Missed this one a few weeks ago, but well worth the visit: Who Pastors the Pastor?
- …And speaking of things we missed, here’s an excellent article on the topic of sibling sexual abuse. “Juveniles account for more than one-third of those known to police to have committed sexual offenses against minors.” Are parents willing to take the measures recommended in this article; starting with reporting the crime to the police?
- Ministry Management: 7 Levels of decision-making in your church; the trade-off between total consensus and time spent…
- …Also, as uncool as it is to have a 2015 link here, this piece at the same site, How Many People Should Your Church Have on Staff? got our attention.
- It’s an interesting juxtaposition when it’s your money that says ‘in God we trust’ considering so many are trusting in the money itself which is communicating the message. (That may not be exactly where Mark Wilson was heading with this, but that was my own takeaway!)
- Quotation of the Week:
“The world does not need clever stories about the pastor’s life and family, his political opinions or his latest jokes.
You can get comedy at a nightclub.
You can “connect” with television talk show hosts.
You can follow politics on your favorite news channel.
The world has plenty of that to offer.
The church exists for a different reason.”
- Over at The Gospel Coalition, Jared Wilson thinks attractional churches are guilty of ‘upside down’ worship.’
- Most provocative headline seen this week: Why I Write My Sermons in a Bar.
- Devotional Study of the Week: Dealing with the “You are Gods” statement Jesus makes, or quotes, or refers to with irony.
- Attrition at the LDS Church: If you’re young, if you’re single, if you’re male; chances are greater that you’ll leave the Mormon church.
- Pastors: Not getting enough
fiberbook reviews? Check out The Christian Reviewer, who has a strong emphasis on theological and academic titles and Bibles.
- Video of the Week: “Thy Will” is the first single by Seven-time GRAMMY award winner Hillary Scott (of Lady Antebellum) and the Scott Family, from their upcoming new album Love Remains, releasing Friday. (Click here for bio.)
- Hillary Clinton needs to talk
turkeyfaith, as the nation tries to pinpoint her spirituality.
- Homeschool Hangout: If you are a home educator you know what a morning basket is, right? Here are some things to add to it. (If you’re not a homeschool family, here’s a great list of resources for kids.)
- Citing declining enrollment as a reason, a Canadian Christian university President steps down.
- Reading between the lines on Facebook status updates.
- I’m considering an extended post on something that happened recently on Episode 94 of the Happy Rant Podcast, but you can get there first by listening to some Candid Calvinist Confessions at around the 30:00 to 40:00 minute mark in response to the movie Calvinist (Kickstarter Project) we linked to (indirectly) last week.
Since you were all good boys and girls today and clicked all your links, we’ll give you one more.