A realistic look at Psalm 139 from Greg at the blog, Loose Him and Let Him Go:
Here are this week’s links:
- Lead Item: The Sandra Bland story is probably repeated more times than anyone realizes. This time it was an Episcopal priest. (Something is seriously wrong in the U.S. right now.)
- Family Christian Stores will continue to exist, for now, but even as they are breathed back into live, Gospel Light Publishing, a casualty of the restructuring, files for Chapter 11. Here’s a report at Thinking Out Loud’s Christian publishing sister blog…
- …Meanwhile, time has run out for Canada’s largest Christian bookstore.
- Red letter Bibles? That’s so 1899. Today, printing technology combines with marketing zeal to offer various types of Bible color coding combinations.
- Leadership Lessons: This one gets harsh, but pastors, here’s why your sermon is being ignored…
- …Also for pastors, even though a minister’s life consists of constant interruptions, you don’t have to attend every committee meeting or accept every guest speaker invitation. A pastor shares his greatest regret.
- Relevant Magazine’s top 10 book recommendations for twenty-somethings, and one writer’s observation as to what the list was missing.
- Persecution Potential: “[P]roposed amendments to Nepal’s new constitution, likely to come into effect on Monday (10 August) after seven years of parliamentary discussions, could eventually render all Christian activity illegal.”
- Pope Francis has signaled a softer stance on divorce, that impacts other Catholic doctrines such as the annulment of the previous marriage, and who can take communion.
- Essay of the Week: The Bridegroom Loves to Hear His Bride Sing.
- Book Review of the Week: A look at Living Without Worry: How to Replace Anxiety with Peace; a scripture-centered approach by Timothy Lane.
- Worship Resource of the Week: What great musicianship looks like; four characteristics. (Via Worship Links as usual!)
- Women’s Feature of the Week: Holley Gerth on helping someone in the middle of a situation with which you have no experience.
- Two authors you know join forces on a new book to help women understand their role in helping men battle porn…
- …Also at On Faith: How to be monastic without becoming a monk.
- Separation of Church and State-funding: New rules for U.S. federal faith-based partnerships.
- VBS with a Difference: This one in Michigan ran over four nights and taught the kids apologetics…
- …Also at Ratio Christi: Who needs apologetics?
- Proof of the Proof: Verification for the Mathematical proof of the existence of God.
- Pictures like the ones in this short blog post arrest me in my tracks. White Anglo Protestants have convinced themselves that Jesus looked a lot like they do.
- If you missed it earlier, here’s the video trailer for the movie War Room, releasing in the U.S. August 28th. (Quarter million views so far.)
- Who says churches are tax exempt? A 5-minute podcast on the taxes churches actually pay. (Poor audio, but good content.)
- You don’t hear a lot of Amish conversion stories but it does happen. Of the 200,000 American Amish, perhaps 200 are converts like Christina Cortez.