Welcome back to another list…
- Shaun Groves is getting ready to release a new album, Third World Symphony, and Journey of Worship caught up with him for an interview. And speaking of CCM artists…
- Here’s what Joy Williams has been up to lately, as half of the duo The Civil Wars [video] which I was reminded of while reading this…
- Jason Adkins digs deep into the grammar of CCM: “Prepositional Phrases Are the Artistic Expression Du Jour. Whether it’s Chris Tomlin (And If Our God Is For Us…), Blindside (With Shivering Hearts We Wait), or the continuance-to-a-specified-time tendencies of Casting Crowns (Until the Whole World Hears) and Red (Until We Have Faces), the prepositional phrase is challenging the terse one-word album title as the dominate naming convention in Christian music.” Read The State of the Art Address.
- Missy gets into the subject of designer babies and gender selection at It’s Almost Naptime, a popular parenting blog for women.
- Popular author and theologian N. T. Wright is releasing the New Testament edition of his own Bible translation, The Kingdom New Testament. More advance info at Zondervan.
- Canada’s largest multi-site church, The Meeting House is doing something very different for the summer. For 12 weeks, they’ve invited leaders from other denominations to share the pulpit with TMH teaching pastor Bruxy Cavey. (Plus a visit from Philip Yancey!) So far we’ve enjoyed all of them, available on both video and audio.
- Mickey Maudlin, Senior Vice President and Executive Editor at HarperOne (HarperCollins’ religious imprint) reflects on the reaction to their publication of Rob Bell‘s Love Wins. Sample: “As a young evangelical, I was socialized to see the biggest threat to the church as theological liberalism. But now I think the biggest threat is Christian tribalism…”
- Last week I linked to some pictures of the event, this week a visit to Julie Clawson’s impressions of the Wild Goose Festival.
- Mark Dever looks at what’s wrong with pastoral search committees (#6 of 9: “A beauty pageant mentality”) and then, in part two of the same article suggests that this is actually the responsibility of the church elders.
- B. J. Stockman looks at the gospel at Resurgence blog. This is a longer piece but in section three, check out the gospel as reflected in Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Leviticus.
- Lifeshapes author Mike Breen sees celebrity, consumerism, and competition as the key elements that are writing the obituary of the Amercian Church.
- Also for our American readers, here’s a breakdown of the faith demographics on a state by state basis. Just hover your mouse over the state for info.
- Sovereign Grace Ministries leader C. J. Mahaney is stepping away from ministry for an unspecified time.
- Here’s the video where the deer got loose in Colonial Hills Baptist Church and was captured by security cameras. Easy to miss in this is the observation of the vast number of security cameras this church actually needs.
- It’s “Sex Week” at Stuff Fundies Like. Can’t wait to see how sex and fundamentalism mix.
- Last month I introduced you to Searching for Grace, a new cartoon by Mike Mooney. Here’s a very recent panel, giving you the kind of thing you can expect at his website.