October 13, 2010
Wednesday Link List
- Our opening cartoon this week celebrates the release of David Hayward’s first cartoon book, Naked Pastor 101, which is available as a download, e-book, or paperback. Simply click anywhere on the image to learn more.
- The lastest news from Donald Miller and Steve Taylor is that the movie based on the book Blue Like Jazz is back on again.
- After 30 years, Charisma magazine finally gets around to interviewing the man considered “the first Pentecostal scholar,” Regent College New Testament professor Gordon Fee.
- Steve McQuilkin has a problem. He’s “burst out out of the Christian bubble,” but all his old friends are alienating his new friends by speaking in Christianese on social media, which IMHO, is never a good idea even when it’s only our ‘in group’ in the audience.
- And speaking of alienation, here’s an excellent article for worship leaders (and staff musicians, tech people, etc.) on prioritizing your loved ones; under the title How Not To Be A Jerk to Your Family. [HT: Worship Community]
- Really enjoyed our weekend visit to Carruther’s Creek Community Church at the east end of greater Toronto. John Thompson is the young pastor in what must be one of the largest churches in the AGC denomination, and they now offer recent sermons on video.
- So what’s your guess on how many men in your church have a ‘problem’ with pornography? An article at XXXChurch.com — people who should know — suggests you could be looking at something around 50%.
- Next Tuesday (10/19) listen to a live interview with author Philip Yancey on the occasion of the release of his new book, What Good Is God? at 1:30 PM at Blog Talk Radio.
- The staff at Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas produced a five-minute, single-camera, single-take video celebrating their 20th anniversary. Enjoy watching, and if you’ve got another five minutes, watch them making the video at BeDeviant.
- Not sure you’re hearing from God? This week’s Christianity 201 link is a quote from Bill Hybels’ The Power of a Whisper (Zondervan) about getting God’s voice to be heard over the noise in our lives.
- I’ve also been hearing about another Zondervan book — one that Hybels himself could have written — Coffee Shop Conversations by Dale & Jonalyn Fincher. I was reminded of it again reading Audra Krell’s blog.
- So what would the people in your church do if Donald Trump turned up for Sunday worship? Probably not seat him at the back.
- Here’s another one of those “top blog” web pages, this one purporting to be the “top youth ministry blogs;” though as I pointed out a few weeks ago, the motivation for these sites is somewhat dubious.
- Here’s a new version of sermon bingo just for fundamentalists from the blog Stuff Fundies Like (click on image to link).
RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI