I was thinking out loud today about the importance of having a church, a church family and a pastor if you get home from work and take off your shirt only to discover that there’s a hole in your stomach.
“I think I’ve been shot;” I announced to my wife.
Our immediate concern was for the shirt I’d been wearing which, although it is already dark red, is my newest shirt and one that I like very much.
“The funny thing is;” I said to her, “I don’t remember being shot.” I certainly didn’t feel anything.
She produced a paper towel and some warm water and determined that I had probably scratched at some kind of mole earlier in the day.
Still; if I had been shot, I realized that nobody would come to visit me and I wouldn’t appear on a prayer list at any church on Sunday, let alone make it on to a prayer chain. It would be nice to pretend that somebody cared.
So all you freewheeling readers out there who are currently “between churches” should definitely get one soon.
- Kathy aka Kaybee quotes an excellent piece of poetry from Mother Teresa in this post, Who is Jesus to Me?
- More thoughts on Bible meditation, this time from a site with a name similar to ours, Thinking With Purpose; part of a study on Spiritual Meditation.
- Sherry at the blog Soiled Wings would get along great my wife, who has made an art form out of dodging the greeters at the door of the church. Sherry spiritualizes it however in this post, God, Greeters and Germs.
- It’s been awhile since we linked to Nashville pastor Pete Wilson’s blog. In this post, he talks about the expectations we have for people in our churches, that they will fit into a certain mold; or as he calls them Cookie Cutter Souls.
- Despite my attempts at trying to sell a “booklet” which is shrinkwrapped into packages of four or five, it’s been suggested again that The Pornography Effect, really could use more chapters, or some serious padding, if we’re going to find a publisher. So in a new chapter (ignore the post date) we look at the idea of Detoxification.